Magento vs. Oracle ATG: Which is the One for Ecommerce Success?
March 10, 2017 - E-Commerce Development
In regular retail, care about customers is visible – it’s in the store interior and exterior design, well-trained staff and immaculate service. In ecommerce, there are aspects of caring about visitors that are invisible yet felt – convenience, efficiency, the holistic approach to customer experience across all touchpoints and channels, well-thought purchase scenarios etc. To a great extent, they depend on the technology behind the online store, either assisting or holding back any positive advances. Therefore, there are so many heated debates on the choice of the ‘right’ e-Commerce platform.
Our today’s issue at hand is Oracle ATG vs Magento comparison. This is not the typical dilemma, since the platforms in question belong to different groups of e-Commerce software and there is only one area where they actually be compared – it’s enterprise business segment.
Oracle ATG vs Magento for big businesses
Oracle ATG Web Commerce is a retail solution that enables managing all sales channels, including offline ones, facilitates launching new websites, implementing customized marketing campaigns, coordinating the brand’s presence in social networks and mobile etc. Oracle company roots back to 2005, when it appeared on the CRM market. Only in 2010 did it become known in the e-Commerce sphere after acquiring Art Technology Group(ATG) and developing its solution on the base of ATG Commerce platform. ATG e-Commerce possesses B2C and B2B modules. Cloud and on-premise solutions available.
Magento is a shopping cart platform that is famous for its flexibility and scalability. It boasts the biggest market share (among other software for e-Commerce like Magento, according to AheadWorks research in 2016). It offers a set of marketing tools, business intelligence, order management solutions, as well as omnichannel feature. Enterprise edition is available as Cloud and on-premise.
Why choose Magento for e-Commerce
1. First of all, thanks to its popularity, there are thousands of seasoned professionals who know what is Magento development inside and out. This means, finding the right person/agency for website configuration, maintenance and customization won’t be much of a problem.
2. Secondly, Magento features thousands of extensions (over 6,500) readily available at its marketplace, which is extremely convenient for merchants who don’t have time to wait.
3. Despite its complexity, Magento offers solutions for small business, which receives the software that can grow and expand.
4. The existence of two editions- Community and Enterprise, free and annually paid, correspondingly, makes Magento a good choice for virtually any business type. This also accounts for its popularity, which makes Magento the most widely used e-Commerce software in the world.
5. As one of Magento e-Commerce competitors, Oracle ATG is at a disadvantage when it comes to the speed of implementation. On average, Magento websites take 4-5 months to get up and running, while for ATG commerce it may be 1-4 years (depending on the complexity level of the project.
Why Oracle ATG is a good choice?
One of the advantages of Oracle ATG Web Commerce is the template for a web store included in the package, which allows rapidly rolling out new stores.
Different solutions and products made up of applications (Merchandising, Experience Manager, Service Center etc) based on the Oracle ATG platform are available to answer to versatile business requirements.
Extensive Oracle ATG documentation covers virtually any issue, so if you set out to use some of its sophisticated functionality, like the built-in Oracle ATG a/b testing feature, you will get less bumps on the road.
Who uses Magento e-Commerce
No matter what Magento e commerce benefits are, they will work for the advantage of the business only provided this platform is right for it. So, let’s look at its customers to understand whether it will be right for your project. Among most prominent users of Magento are Olympus, Nike, Ford, Harper’s Bazaar, Kidstuff etc. Apparently, this shopping cart is capable of meeting versatile and sophisticated business demands, or it wouldn’t be preferred by the above mentioned giants. Nevertheless, this platform can be equally effective in catering for small and medium companies with more modest requirements.
Who uses Oracle ATG Commerce
Oracle ATG Commerce with its robust functionality is meant for brands willing to expand their online presence and connect digital and physical stores. Therefore, its customers are big companies with great turnover like Netshoes, Mr. Price, Retail World AE, Agilent, Shenhua Group Corporation Ltd., Fox Head Inc., Sascar, Banca Transilvania, Carolina Biological Supply etc.
To make the choice between the two platforms in question, it is important to carefully consider their functionality in details. Take into account the time to market, in which Magento shows better results, and pricing (you need to contact sales teams for details). Also, in general, Magento can be a starting point for smaller businesses that is capable of scaling, while Oracle ATG is designed for corporations rather than SMBs. The final decision is up to you anyway.
What are the other points to consider, which features to pay attention to? Do join the discussion below!